Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Knowledge of language

In order to undertake studies in foreign languages it is required to submit a document confirming candidate’s level of competency in the programme language of instruction, unless it is verified during the interview. Candidate needs to possess such document upon registration.

Below is a list of documents recognized by the Jagiellonian University as a confirmation of foreign languages command.

List of documents confirming command of English at least at B2 level:

  • Cambridge B2 First (grade C or higher);
  • Cambridge C1 Advanced;
  • Cambridge C2 Proficiency;
  • IELTS Academic (at least 5.5 points);
  • TOEFL (at least: iBT: 72 points, ITP: 543 points, CBT: 180 points);
  • higher education diploma in the field of English Philology (English Studies);
  • higher education diploma, if the language of instruction was English;
  • IB diploma;
  • EB certificate;
  • citizenship of a country in which English is the official language;
  • other documents (e.g. transcript mark confirming passing the university English language course at least at B2 level).

Information regarding language competency for the TransAtlantic Studies for Polish citizens and for foreigners can be found at

Besides programs in foreign languages, we have an extensive offer of programs in Polish. The interview is a mandatory part of the admission process for all programs. Passing the interview with success equals confirming the required command of the Polish language (at least B2 level) by the university. If qualification criteria are different, information about uploading a certificate of the Polish language is published in a study card at

List of documents confirming a command of the Polish Language at least at the B2 level:

  • Polish matura certificate;
  • certificate of completion of a one-year preparatory course to study in Polish in units designated by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (language schools). Such a certificate is, for example, a certificate of completion of a one-year preparatory course by NAWA program scholarship holders;
  • official Polish certificate. Obtaining a C1 level certificate entitles you to full-time studies in Polish free of charge;
  • a certificate obtained after passing the exam at the Center for Polish Language and Culture in the World of the Jagiellonian University;
  • diploma of studies in the field of Polish philology;
  • diploma of studies conducted in Polish;
  • another document (e.g., a mark on the study transcript confirming completion of the Polish language course at the level of at least B2).

If you do not speak Polish at all or at least at sufficient level to undertake studies at the Jagiellonian University, you can enrol in one of Polish language courses offered by The Center for Polish Language and Culture in the World by the JU Faculty of Polish Studies:

  • summer school with 3, 4, 6-week program;
  • one-year and one-semester program in Polish language and culture;
  • one-year and one-semester preparatory course for studying in Poland;
  • non-intensive semester course in Polish;
  • intensive 2-week courses;
  • Polish language course for students in the Erasmus program;
  • online courses;
  • individual courses and others.

A detailed information about courses, dates and fees can be found on the official websites of the Center: and Enrolment to Polish language courses is conducted by the Center and the School.

Everyone interested in learning Polish from scratch is welcome to visit the interactive course at A1 level available here.