Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Required documents – undergraduate programmes

The following list includes the documents required from all candidates, regardless of the programme chosen. The full list of documents specific to a programme may be found in the study card of this programme in the catalogue at

Information on required documents for programmes in Polish can be found at

Documents required upon registration

Candidates who apply for admission to programmes in foreign languages are obliged to submit documents as early as upon registration.

In order to confirm registration, the documents listed below (merged in one PDF file) need to be scanned and sent to the appropriate student office:

  • scanned OAS application form
  • scanned Polish Matura certificate or its foreign equivalent
  • scanned certified translation into English of all documents issued in a language other than English
  • other scanned documents specific to a programme (if required)

Before arriving in Poland and enroling

A full set of original documents needs to be presented for inspection in order to enrol. To avoid problems with enrolment, due to missing or incomplete documentation, we suggest you prepare documents required in advance, especially those which you cannot obtain in Poland. In most cases it refers to apostille or legalisation of school certificate. You will also need a valid passport or an ID card (for European Union citizens) or a passport (for non-European Union citizens) to be able to successfully enrol.

Documents required upon enrolment

Documents listed below (originals together with their copies) are required to successfully enrol. You should submit them to the appropriate student office. The student office will only keep copies of the documents, after checking their validity against originals. Please contact the appropriate student office if you cannot come to Poland to submit documents by the deadline given—contact data you may find at in respective study card, 'contact' tab.

The following documents are to be submitted upon enrolment:

  • OAS application form
  • Polish Matura certificate or its foreign equivalent
  • ID photograph

Upon enrollment, candidate presents their identity document for inspection:

  • passport or ID card (for European Union citizens) or passport (for non-European Union citizens)

Additional documents:

  • apostille or legalisation of a document of international qualification, issued outside of Poland
  • certified translation of all documents issued in the language other than the programme language
  • document certifying the required command of the programme language of instruction
  • insurance proof
  • personal referral – if a candidate is referred to a programme
  • decision on recognition of a document of international qualification, issued by the Polish education authority (kurator oświaty)
  • power of attorney – if a candidate is enroled by a representative
  • documents for minors - if a candidate is under 18
  • other documents specific to a programme

Documents description:

OAS application form with ID photograph

The OAS application form is needed to confirm a registration. Once you complete your registration it should be downloaded from “required documents” tab. Signed and scanned form should be then sent together with the rest of the documents required.

Document (certificate) entitling its holder to undertake studies in Poland

To apply for studies in Poland you need a document (a certificate or another foreign document) that entitles to apply for studies in its country of issue. Scans of these documents have to be sent by email upon registration and their originals must be presented for inspection upon enrolment.

[Information for Polish citizens] Please note! In some countries, apart from the high school diploma, graduates also receive a certificate with the external exam results, e.g. ZNO in the Ukraine, CT in the Belarus, SAT in the United States. If this kind of document is issued separately, then it will also be required.

Passport or ID card (UE)

Upon enrolment a candidate is required to confirm their identity with an identity document (passport or - in case of European Union citizens – ID card or passport). If a candidate is enroled by a representative, he also needs to have a copy of candidate’s identity document. It does not have to be translated or notarized.

Apostille/legalisation of a foreign certificate, issued outside of Poland (does not apply to IB diploma and EB certificate)

International qualification certificates obtained outside of Poland (except for the International Baccalaureate diploma and the European Baccalaureate certificate) have to be authenticated with apostille or legalised. This serves as the basis of acknowledging foreign documents as valid in the territory of Poland. If the documents are issued in countries which are parties to the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961 (Dz.U. z 2005 r. nr 112, poz. 938), apostille has to be obtained. The list of countries and institutions responsible in each country for issuing apostille may be found here. For example, if a diploma is issued in the Ukraine, apostille will be issued by the Ministry of Education in Kiev.

Legalisation, similarly to apostille, confirms the authenticity of a document issued in a country other than Poland. Documents have to be legalized if obtaining an apostille is not possible because the country that issued the document is not a party to the Hague Convention mentioned above. If the certificate was issued in such country, you need to contact the institution responsible in this country for legalising documents (in order to use them abroad). Usually it is the ministry of foreign affairs or ministry of education. After obtaining initial confirmation, the Polish consulate should be contacted in order to finalise legalisation of the document.

Apostille or legalisation must be delivered to the appropriate university unit responsible for enrolment, not later than until 28th September, 2020.

Document certifying the required command of the programme language of instruction

Each candidate must either successfully pass the interview verifying their level of competency in the programme language of instruction or, upon enrolment, submit a document confirming this competency at least at B2 level (for some programmes there may be higher requirements). The level of the language must be declared upon registration. Information regarding documents confirming command of the languages recognized at the Jagiellonian University is available here.

Certified documents translations

Every document issued in a language other than Polish or English has to be enclosed with a scanned copy of its certified translation into Polish or English. Translation should be certified by:

  • person entered into the registry of sworn translators and interpreters kept by the Polish Minister of Justice or
  • person registered in an equivalent function to the Polish sworn translator in a Member State of the European Union, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland or
  • Polish consul proper for the country where the document was issued, or within the legal system of which the document was issued or
  • diplomatic mission, accredited in Poland, or consular office proper for the country where the document was issued, or within the legal system of which the document was issued

Insurance proof

All foreigners, in order to undertake studies, must have an insurance valid for at least the first year of studies in Poland, covering medical costs up to 30 000 EUR. The following documents are accepted as insurance proof: a health insurance, a contract or a confirmation from the Polish National Health Fund, or the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). If the candidate does not posses this document upon enrolment, they are required to oblige themselves to deliver it by 28.09.2020 by submitting a written declaration to the unit responsible for enrolment.

Certificate from doctor of occupational medicine (for selected programmes)

For study programmes where students are at risk of exposure to dangerous, harmful, or noxious factors, while enroling upon enrolment they are issued a referral for medical examination conducted by a doctor of occupational medicine. Candidates are then obliged to submit the certificate issued as a result of this examination to the unit responsible for enrolment, in line with the dates from the admission schedule. Information on the medical certificate requirement is available in studies cards at the OAS website.

Decision on recognition of a document of international qualification

Some certificates are recognized in Poland by virtue of law and they do not require any additional administrative actions in order to undertake studies. Such recognition applies to certificates issued in Member States of the EU, OECD, EFTA and countries with which Poland has signed international agreements on mutual documents recognition (e.g. Ukraine).

Certificates issued in other countries than listed above require an additional administrative procedure in order to be recognized as a basis for undertaking higher education in Poland. Such decisions are issued by the appropriate education authority. In order to obtain the decision candidates who reside in Poland should contact the local Polish education authority (kurator oświaty), relevant to the place of their residence. For those who do not reside in Poland this is Małopolskie Kuratorium Oświaty in Kraków. Detailed information about the recognition of certificates obtained abroad is available here.

If, upon enrolment, the candidate does not have a decision on a certificate recognition in Poland, they oblige themselves to obtain this decision by no later than 28 September 2020.

Referral to programme of study (NAWA scholarship holders)

Candidates who undertake studies as NAWA scholarship holders (e.g. Scholarship for the Polish diaspora, The Stefan Banach Scholarship Programme, etc.), should check an appropriate box in the OAS account upon registration. Then, if granted a positive scholarship decision, they should confirm with NAWA (no later than by the end of September) that their referral to the programme of study was sent directly to the University. If the referral is not submitted it may result in being required to pay the tuition fee.

Minor candidates

Candidates who are under 18 upon enrolment have to submit additional documents in order to enrol, such as a birth certificate (with its translation) and parent’s written consent to undertake studies by the child. If a minor candidate is enroled by a representative, then an appropriate power of attorney is required (Please note! This is a different form than the one for the enroling candidates above 18). More information regarding minor candidates and document forms to download can be found here (at, in Polish only).

Power of attorney

A candidate who is not able to enrol in person can appoint a representative who can submit documents on their behalf. This document forms can be found here.

Other documents

For specific studies it is required to submit additional documents which have not been mentioned above. A full list of documents required for each of the programme can be found in the OAS catalogue in the study card in the “required documents” tab.